Tuesday, October 19, 2010

the one about tv

So, if you know me well, you know we don't watch TV. I have to phrase that carefully, because we actually own a TV (it's too old to even pick up the basic channels, we got it for CB to be able to watch Baby Einstein) and because I do watch some select TV shows online (Biggest Loser and Community are my faves). But, all in all, I have relatively low exposure to television. We are super intentional about this. I could probably write a novel about why I hate TV, but I'll just stick to the top two things I hate:
1. It is an abundance of images and stories of things that are opponents of God
2. and thus, I am ashamed of how much I enjoy it.

Just read a GREAT article about TV. I really hope you'll read it. If not, here's my little favorite snippet:

"But when we get immersed in things like the Tiger scandal and reality shows that highlight and glorify our basest instincts (and our narcissism), when we're infatuated by the intimate details about the lives of celebrities (and pseudo-celebrities), we're like kids playing in a dumpster. Sure, it might be entertaining. It might be fun. But in the end, we end up covered in filth."

No comments:

Post a Comment