Sunday, August 8, 2010

the one about my father

Tonight was the FORUM at church. FORUM is when all the Sunday School Leadership of the whole church-from preschool teachers all the way to senior adult teachers-get together to plan for the coming semester. We meet all as a group for dinner and then break out according to where you teach.
Our Education Pastor always teaches for a few minutes at the beginning. Tonight he talked about legacy and how as Sunday School teachers we must be focusing on leaving a legacy for our students. He talked about a few teachers in our church who have left great legacies-a preschool teacher who has taught for 60+ years, a beloved 1st grade teacher who has taught for 54 years, a couple who has taught newlyweds for 30 years. He mentioned my dad and what a great legacy he has taught teaching 5th and 6th graders for 20 something years. When he said my dad's name, you could hear people in the audience respond at the sound of his name. Just at his name, they showed appreciation.
It's funny, they weren't talking about me, but it sure felt good. I guess when my father received glory, it made me feel good. I basked in his glory and loved it.

It made me think: if I get all warm and fuzzy when someone brings glory to my earthly father, why don't I respond with even greater emotion when someone brings glory to my heavenly Father?
My earthly father sure does have his flaws. We could make a list. But my heavenly Father has none. His perfect glory fills the heavens and the earth.

And to top it all off, my Father loves nothing more than His own glory. I was really convicted tonight that I need to make a much greater effort to lavish glory on my Father. I want to exalt His name in my life; I want His praise to ever be on my lips; I want to declare His glory among the nations.

Because He's my daddy, He's the King of Glory, and He is totally worthy of my praise.

Lift up your heads, O you gates;
be lifted up, you ancient doors,
that the King of glory may come in.

Who is this King of glory?
The LORD strong and mighty,
the LORD mighty in battle.

Lift up your heads, O you gates;
lift them up, you ancient doors,
that the King of glory may come in.

Who is he, this King of glory?
The LORD Almighty—
he is the King of glory.
Psalm 24:7-10

No comments:

Post a Comment