Monday, August 30, 2010

journey to 30 #2

Slow starting on these journey to 30 posts. It's the start of a new school year and I am up to my neck in college students. I LOVE it, but it means less time for life.

#5. I want to be a submissive, supportive, helpful, and encouraging wife

Adam and I are entering a season where we are trying to be super intentional about our relationship. Our wonderful community group is studying Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas. We've just begun, but I've already enjoyed talking as a group about the purpose of marriage. Thomas states that God designed marriage not to make us happy, but to make us holy. I've been challenged by this line of thinking. Whenever I get frustrated with Adam because he doesn't understand my thoughts, my heart, or my needs I try to remember that those moments can cause me to throw myself at the foot of God to find what I seek. Instead of hashing it out with Adam so that I'm better understood and thus more happy, I take my heart to the throne of my Savior and ask Him to simply remake me to make me more like Him. It is a very selfless view to take, and completely contrary to my nature, but by the grace of God I can be transformed.

Each Friday night Adam and I are having "marriage night." We're discussing Sacred Marriage and then doing something to intentionally build our relationship. We've played a super fun little marriage mad lib game and we took a really great quiz about perspective in marriage.

I'm excited. I can't wait to look back in two years to see the glorious work God has done in our hearts. I expect big things from my Jesus and big things from my marriage. Truly, my heart's desire is that our marriage would make us more holy, that our relationship would serve as a fashioning tool for God to make us like His Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment