Wednesday, January 6, 2010

the one about boys and girls

I'm working on my SS lesson for UMin this week. It's on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. All the students will be together since its January, and we'll have a faculty panel Q & A style.

I decided to brush back up on Piper and Grudem's encyclopedia-esque treatise on the subject, Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. It has really challenged me. I guess I've changed alot since the last time I read this book-maybe 4 years ago??

First, I think it has challenged me to really examine my femininity and how I relate to men around me. Do I really let men lead in the God-ordained way they are supposed to? Am I submissive not just in my actions, but in my heart?

Second, I have realized anew how wonderful my man is. Adam is a beautiful example of Biblical manhood. On the flip side, I have been convicted about how I don't always let him lead and how I fail to pray earnestly for God to refine and grow him.

Third, the book is making me question some habits in my life. We'll see where that gets us... I guess I'll just wait on that phone call from Beth Moore to come work for her full-time to help research and write Bible studies. It could happen, right??

I have so many quotes from the book I'd love to share, but I'll restrain myself to two:

"For men and women who have a heart to minister-to save souls and heal broken lives and resist evil and meet needs-there are fields of opportunity that are simply endless. God intends for the entire church to be mobilized in ministry, male and female. Nobody is to be at home watching soaps and ballgames while the world burns."

and my fav...
“In the home when a husband leads like Christ and a wife responds like the bride of Christ, there is a harmony and mutuality that is more beautiful and more satisfying than any pattern of marriage created by man. Biblical headship for the husband is the divine calling to take primary responsibility for Christlike, servant leadership, protection and provision in the home. Biblical submission for the wife is the divine calling to honor and affirm her husband’s leadership and help carry it through according to her gifts. This is the way of joy. For God loves His people and He loves His glory. And therefore when we follow His idea of marriage (sketched in texts like Genesis 2:18-24, Proverbs 5:15-19, 31:10-31, Mark 10:2-12, Ephesians 5:21-33, Colossians 3:18-19, and I Peter 3:1-7) we are most satisfied and He is most glorified.

Oh God, make my life and my marriage satisfied and glorified in You!!!!

2 comments:

  1. First: I love that you're going Friends-esque on your naming your entries - The One.... Makes me smile.
    Second: You're amazing. You challenge me. The time we got to spend together really probing our spiritual lives was not enough! I miss that about you so much!
    Third: The design of your blog is SO CUTE!
    Fourth: I love you!
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks alison. and i love how you number your thoughts. we are very much alike you know?
    i love you too.

    i get to see you soon!

    mk

    ReplyDelete