Friday, July 16, 2010

the one about grandaddy


My parents are out of town for a weekend at the lake [good for them]. I went by their house today to check on Grandaddy. I love my Grandaddy.

It's so hard to watch him these days. He can't hear, he has trouble getting out a complete sentence, his balance is horrible, and he struggles with some simple day-to-day tasks. As I was hanging out with him, I had an internal struggle going on with the Lord. Why is it fair that my Grandaddy lives like this? He loves Jesus, I mean loves Him. Why can't he just go on to be with Him? After all, Scripture says to die is gain, and nothing could be more true than that right now for Grandaddy.

I made us lunch and called him in to eat. When he sat down I wondered if I was going to need to say the prayer. But then he surprised me. He grabbed my hand and prayed a robust and totally with-it prayer to the Lord. Just when I was wondering where God's mercy was, it showed up. My Grandaddy may struggle to have a conversation with me, but he didn't struggle in the slightest when talking with his Savior.
As we started eating I thought about the prayer list my Grandaddy prays over each and every day. I was reminded of another Scripture, "the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."

To die is gain, but to live is Christ. For now, I trust that my Grandaddy lives to glorify God. And while he lives, his prayers are powerful and effective. That, my friends, is one full and rich life.

2 comments:

  1. This encouraged my heart...My grandpa is aging too in very similar ways and it's a constant struggle as it's really difficult to watch. The only thing that doesn't change is his love for the Lord. I know how you feel..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your blog are a blessing to my life!

    ReplyDelete