Friday, July 1, 2011

the one about birthday cake

Beth's birthday was this week. I asked her to request any special treat to celebrate and she asked for ice cream cake. I'd never made ice cream cake before, so I was excited about the challenge! I got the recipe for ice cream tunnel cake from trusty allrecipes.com. I'll give you my edited version here:

you'll need:
  • 1 package strawberry cake mix
  • vanilla ice cream, slightly softened (I ended up using what amounted to one large bowl)
  • cool whip
  • fresh strawberries

directions:
1. prepare cake mix and pour into well-greased bundt pan. bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. cool for 10 minutes and then move cake to wire rack. cool completely.

2. slice top fourth off cake; set aside. using a sharp knife, carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1 inch shell. eat removed cake. :) place cake shell in freezer for at least 30 min. fill tunnel with softened ice cream; replace cake top. cover and freeze. we ate the first piece after it had been in the freezer 2 hours and the second round at 4 hours. it was better the longer it had been left in the freezer.

this pic is half-way through the ice cream filling phase. I wanted you to see it in process.
here is a view of the tunnel when sliced
3. top each cake slice with a small scoop of ice cream, a dollop of cool whip, and slices of fresh strawberry. yummy!!!
let me know if you make this ice cream cake. it's easy and oh-so-yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment