Monday, March 21, 2011

the one about perspective

Can your attitude change pretty quickly, depending on what's going on in your life? Mine does, a trait I find frustrating. I woke up today, ready to conquer the world and feeling like I was going to get so much accomplished today! I felt great! Then I dropped the bowl of grits as they were coming out of the microwave. No big deal, I thought. As I was cleaning it up I realized the bowl shattered the glass ceramic stove top. Big deal.
All of a sudden instead of feeling like Mrs. Conqueror, I feel like hopping back in bed and sticking my head under the covers to ignore the huge mess I've just made.

So I turn to trusty Google Reader to distract my thoughts. The first three posts I read are from friends who went on really cool vacations over Spring Break. I'm starting to turn green with envy. All of these thoughts start going through my head: "We can't afford a vacation..." "I wish I looked good in a swimsuit like she does..." "Look at all they did! I'd like just one nice meal out..."

The next two posts I read are from a dear friend who is living and serving in South Africa. I read about her joy of being invited to a local home, and the delight at a nice relaxing meal at home with a friend.


The sinfulness of my mind and heart have been utterly exposed this morning. My attitude changes with what I perceive my circumstances to be rather than my attitude being fixed on the truth: I am a child of God, lavished by His love, and covered by His grace. I have great abundance and all that I need.

Going to go and try to live a day marked by grace, gratefulness, and truth.

If you're one of my friends who went on a super fun vacation this past week I hope you know I'm not judging your life, I'm judging my own. Hope your vacation was restful, fun, and taught you something awesome about Jesus!!

1 comment: